Monday, February 11, 2013

Cake Stand Hunting

On Saturday I went "thrifting", as I like to call it, with my mom.  I was looking for a couple crystal or glass cake stands in order to make a sort of decorative and organizational piece for all my makeup/hair stuff. I didn't end up finding exactly what I was looking for (seems to be the nature of thrift shopping sometimes), but I did find a couple awesome things while I was out.  There are some truly fantastic antique and consignment shops in Ann Arbor, you just need to know where to look.  Without further adieu here are a couple of the places my mom and I ended up at this weekend!


Such-A-Find

This place has been around for a while, (years ago I found a great vintage swimsuit here), and they specialize in estate liquidations. They also have an Ebay site you can shop. This place is small, with lots of heart. Their collection is researched and reasonably priced.






I love love love old books, and I found a very adorable copy of Little Women, Volume I.

Looked inside to see how old the book was; it was published in 1869, just a year after volume I was originally published. Yes I bought it! 





This little blue plate was only $2.00, and I figured it would make a great addition to my organizational scheme.  Love the color!


Another great place we visited was West Side Furniture Consignment Emporium.  The cool thing about this place, is they want to see all their stuff go, so if an item doesn't sell they lower the price every couple of weeks. It's a mix of antique items and (relatively) newer high quality furniture. The prices are already reasonable, so if you keep an eye out, you can snag some great deals.  If you're like me, and want to furnish your home with vintage furniture, this is the first place to check out.




In case you're wondering, they DO sell other items besides furniture.  You'll find a lot in this place.

One of the things I like about this place, other than the awesome prices, is the organization of the place.  It's clean and well kept, mixing old and newer pieces.  






I loved this old desk with it's paper compartment for letter writing.  Fantastic find, wish I needed a desk!

Well, that's it for this thrifting weekend, hopefully I can find my cake stands soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment